Welcome to Redding International Folk Dancers
1) INTERNATIONAL FOLK DANCING on FRIDAYS:
We dance Fridays from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. at the Redding Arts Project (formerly the Redding Ballet Academie), 1726 Market Street, across from the Cascade Theatre. Cost is $3. (First-timers are free!)
All Fridays September through June. See postings below for holidays or other occasional schedule changes.
Each evening is a combination of teaching, review, and open request dances. You'll hear a wide range of diverse music. Folk dance is great exercise and just plain fun. Our dances come from all around the world.
If you're interested in coming...Stop by, drop in for just a while or for the whole evening. We tend to start the evening with easier dances and work in intermediate to advanced dances as the night goes on.
2) MONTHLY CONTRA DANCES
On select Saturdays. April 29 & June 3, before our summer break.
Contra Dances are at:
FOR EITHER TYPE of DANCE...
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. We recommend shoes that stay securely on your feet (no flip flops!) and with a smooth or light tread (so you can pivot or slide a bit). Bring water.
All dancers are welcome: beginners, experienced folk dancers, guests, visitors....anyone who enjoys dancing. No partner required. (Contra dances are a "partnered" dance, but we don't have fixed partners so everyone gets a chance to join in.)
Updates on the schedule and special events are listed below. Most recent announcements are at the top.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Friday, December 2: regular dancing
Friday, December 9: NO DANCING
Friday, December 16: regular dancing
Saturday, December 17: Christmas Party (6:00 p.m., potluck dinner + dancing)
Fridays December 23 & 30: regular dancing
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Saturday, November 19
At our regular location, but note change of day/time
Please bring food to share. You can bring something with a Greek or Mediterranean theme, or just general party food. Paper goods and beverages will be provided.
We are encouraging everyone to wear BLUE & WHITE, the colors of the Greek flag, to make things festive. Or wear your favorite ethnic costume or party clothes!
Our approximate schedule will be:
6:00 food & drink, music & social hour, surprises (?)
6:30 dances of Greece
7:30 mixed international dancing
Ending at ??
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
2. We will not be dancing on Friday, November 18, as the studio won't be available to us. This was the original date for our Greek party. It will be rescheduled to another date in November. Stay posted.
Saturday, October 8, 2011
- Friday, October 14: Trader Joe's night. Bring snacks to share (from TJ's or wherever). Or just bring your shoes and come to dance!
- Friday, October 28: HALLOWEEN Party! Wear orange and/or black, or a Halloween costume, or a folk costume. Finger food and treats by potluck. Decorations welcome.
- Friday, November 18: A trip to GREECE. This party night will highlight dances of Greece (plus international as well), and Greek/Mediterranean food by potluck. Color theme will be blue and white, if you'd like to dress up or help with decorations.
Saturday, September 3, 2011
We've kicked off our dance year and the start of Labor Day weekend with a Friday night of dancing: old favorites and some brand new dances from folk dance camp this summer.
Two items of note:
- Friday, September 9 is our 2nd Friday, Trader Joe's night. If you like bring a snack to share from Trader Joe's (or elsewhere). Or just bring yourself...and your dancing shoes!
- We are putting together a music CD: Redding Folk Dance Favorites. If you have nominations for dances to go on this CD, especially easy dances, please give them in writing to Lenore (either hard copy or email firstname.lastname@example.org). Copies of the CD will be available to members for your listening and dancing pleasure at home.
Saturday, August 13, 2011
Redding Folk Dancers invite members, friends, and families to
come and help start off the Fall International Folk Dance Season
with Food, Fellowship, and Dancing on
August 27, 2011
3:00 pm until ??
Bring a main dish (hot or cold or use our barbeque), or a salad or desert to share. Lemonade and iced tea will be provided. Bring any other cold drinks you would like. Extra chairs are always helpful.
Chet’s dance floor will be set up, and music available for your dancing and/or watching entertainment!
Location: The Wrights. (Please call/email for directions, or check your email inbox for an invitation with more info).
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Donna and Lenore together will be turning 100.
Come help us celebrate two milestone birthdays (60 and 40!)
Friday, July 1
Dancing to live and recorded music.
Finger foods and snacks by potluck. (Please don't bring sweets as we'll be having cake and ice cream.)
At our regular location.
Monday, February 28, 2011
But then we'll be back for dancing as normal on Friday, March 11. (That happens to be our second-Friday of the month Trader Joe's snacks night. If you care to bring a snack to share, or just come and dance).
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Some extra celebrations with our regular Friday night dancing are coming up:
This Friday (Jan. 28) we'll be celebrating Chet's 80th birthday! Cake will be provided, but you are invited to bring other sweets or finger foods to help make this special event into a real party.
Save the date: Friday, Feb. 11, will be a Valentine's day party.